Featured Post

Gathering the Tools for the Tool Box

Hello, gentle readers!  Today I'd like to address the tool box.  The tool box is an accumulation of resources that you can tap in to whe...

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

It's Show Time, Folks!

Calvin is home. It's showtime!  Time for me to step up as a caregiver!  So, why do I feel so hesitant?  I received wonderful instruction today from a day-long seminar with Teepa Snow, who has been working with people with dementia for over 36 years.  Her seminar provided so much insight that I can officially say that my mind was blown and Teepa's instruction has helped me to see Calvin in a different light.


So now I am the one responsible for Calvin's care.  That is an incredible responsibility.  Perhaps calling it "showtime" seems frivolous.  Please know, gentle reader, that I use humor to try and cope with difficult situations and challenges.  I have been doing that since I was a child.  There are times where people misunderstand and thing that I am trivializing the situation.  Always know that I take this responsibility, this sacred trust, very seriously.  I spoke vows before the altar of God twice, promising to care for Calvin in sickness and in health.  As a devout Catholic, that is some serious stuff to me.

But, I can do the job with a smile and some laughter in my voice.  And for Suzy, who was my partner at the seminar today, I can do with with my right amygdala by my side.  *grin*


No comments:

Post a Comment